Zun Rule Clarifications

Can you play modifiers on other players cards? In the sense of 2v2 it’s especially interesting to me.

1 Like

Hey thepawkypenguin!

The short answer is no. Modifiers primarily attach to Action cards you’re setting down onto the table to play. The closest you can get to this is using Redirect after someone targets you with an Action that can be Boosted and you add Boost to your Redirect, increasing the number value on the original Action along with changing the target.

While our rules don’t normally allow Modifying other players’ cards, we can’t stop you from making alterations and house rules : )

That being said, the game was designed around playing Modifier cards on your own Action while you’re setting an Action down. Once you choose an Action and pick any Modifiers to go with it, our rules have it, so they all go into effect at the same time. Allowing other players to add Modifiers or allowing a player to add Modifiers after they’ve already played a card might get a little crazy, and we haven’t tested that form of play.

1 Like

Newbie question, but what happens if the deck runs out of cards? I didn’t see an answer in the rule book, but maybe I missed it.

2 Likes

Hey the8thbit!

When someone has to draw, and there are no more cards, you would then shuffle the discarded cards into a new deck. We do have an explanation, but it’s buried way toward the back in the “Clarifications” page. I think we might consider squeezing that in visually in a newer version of the rules if we can!

Thank you for dropping by and asking : )

1 Like

For the card Decoy, What does it mean to resolve in Action? does that mean to just let whatever action played against you to continue than it does the effect of the card? In short what is resolve

1 Like

Hey AznTimmy123,

The card is considered resolved if you’ve done the text that happens immediately.

Resolving cards means: the card has been played, Modifiers have been played, and Reactions have been played (if you wanted to play Modifiers or Reactions)–then, you do the text on the card that has an immediate effect.

(ongoing) and other effects that say things like “until the end of the turn” still happen even though the card is now “resolved.”

This basically means that when you can play another Action, that means the last one is considered “resolved.”

For Decoy, this means that you let whatever happens on the card that first targets you. But if you want to protect yourself from more Actions, Decoy is great if you can take the first Action safely while playing Decoy.

Hello!

Me and my boyfriend were playing the game and noticed there isnt a clear indication of whether or not a fizzle can be played on a reaction such as redirect in order to prevent it from happening. The inspiration would I supposed come from magic the gathering, where there is a “counterspell” which is very similar to the fizzle.

Here is the scenario:
I played a slow on him, and he reacted with a redirect. I then played a fizzle on his redirect with the idea that the slow would still be targeting him. What he believes the outcome would be is that I would be fizzling the slow which is now targeting me and then I would have to discard a card as I would be the targeting player as well as the target player.

Which Is correct?

2 Likes

Hey Luc_Of_Course!

I really like the concept of “counterspell,” and I’ve wanted to have a card that does this for Reaction cards–it’s been tricky to get working, though.

Unfortunately for you, Reaction cards only work with Action cards right now. Since Redirect is merely making you play Slow on yourself since Redirect changed the target, you’re merely dealing with your own Slow casting onto you. Playing Fizzle in your scenario would mean that you are targeting yourself, so you choose a card to discard, and your Action does nothing–not a scenario you would want to play Fizzle in!

That being said, we can’t stop house rules if you want to give them a try : )

But the short answer is: No, Fizzle is a Reaction to Slow, not to Redirect–Fizzle would stop Slow, not stop Redirect.

1 Like

If I play a Purge card on my opponent when they have no (ongoing) cards actively played on them, can that Purge be factored with Punish, or am I unable to play Purge in the first place because my opponent has no ongoing cards?

1 Like

Hey aidancol!

So the fun thing about Purge is that you can play it no matter what is going on (so long as you’re not actively prevented from playing Actions like when it’s not your turn or when you’re currently affected by Banish). There doesn’t have to be ongoing cards to play Purge–it just wouldn’t do anything.

Now, Purge is an immediate effect that stops affecting the target once you’re done discarding any ongoing cards from them, so Punish wouldn’t care about Purge. Since you can only play one Action at a time, there’s no window where you could get another damage from Purge affecting the target. Only cards that still have an effect after you resolve them, like Expose, Stash, Daze, or even things like Anarchy and single-target ongoing cards–only things that still keep doing something after you play them count toward Punish’s damage calculation.

1 Like

In a playthrough ran into a situation where curse was on the field and the player played the card decree reducing everyone’s by by 1. So the question is what happens to the curse?

1 Like

Hey AznTimmy123!

Decree doesn’t target anyone specifically, so there’s nothing that makes Curse move to another target. Since Decree says “all players,” you aren’t targeting them directly. This also means that Decree goes around anything else that involves targeting, like Reaction cards.

Hello Everyone!

I’ve enjoyed this game a bunch - really like the back and forth between players and am eager to get some games in with the new Arcane Secrets expansion. I have 2 questions - one about a basic rule and one about a new card:

1. The Overload Rule - rulebook states it “will always cause you to reduce your HP by 1 for every card past 10, one at a time each time” For some reason, that last bit of phrasing threw me for a loop. Are you calculating and applying damage after drawing all of the cards, or are you doing it after drawing each card? For example, if I have 10 cards and draw 3, am I just taking 3 damage? Or is it 6 total, as in, “for the first card, you’re 1 over - take 1 damage; for the second card, you’re 2 over - take 2 damage”, etc.? I haven’t seen any examples on this forum, so I wasn’t sure…

I’m guessing it’s the former, as that damage could stack pretty quickly…

1. Ward Card - If you have a Ward in play, discarding it only gives you the option to play a Reaction, it doesn’t do anything further than that? If you don’t have a Reaction, you’re out of luck, right?
1 Like

Hey Kyle_R!

Glad you’re having fun!

For #1: It’s the former! 1 damage for each card : )

For #2: You’re exactly right. It’s there to let you react to an otherwise forced Action. Of course, you get to pick when you want to discard it when you’re targeted by a forced Action. There hopefully shouldn’t be any situation where you’re wasting Ward.

Really loving this game! Thanks for making it, and keeping engaged here on the rule clarifications.

Punish: what does “unique” mean? Are 2 separate attacks each unique, or does “unique” mean that if I played 2 attacks and a daze, that would be 1 hp for the attacks, and 1 for the daze?

Punish: do you include the punish card in the count of unique action cards affecting the target?

Anarchy: what are “modifier restrictions”? The modifier symbols on the bottom left of the upper colored section of action cards that specify which modifiers can be played on them?

More questions to come :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hey Cheesywinklz!

Sorry, I’ve been away this week, but I hope these are still useful to see explained. We also have a discord server if you haven’t joined where you might get help faster: https://discord.gg/TEgEnUUSrd

Unique just means different names. Two Exposes have 1 unique card, and that is an “Expose” card. For Punish, this only does 1 damage for each unique Action affecting someone. Several cards with the same name don’t get to count for more than 1 damage.

Affecting only counts for cards that are already affecting someone. Punish is not included because it’s not already affecting that player.

A simple flowchart should help understand how cards work.

Play->Target->Before Resolve->Resolve->After Resolve->"(ongoing)" or “until”->in play but not affecting->discarded or not in play

“Affecting” only happens after “Before Resolve” and often ends before “After Resolve.” Only cards that have “ongoing” or other text like “until the end of your turn” keep affecting someone after you resolve them. Card text only counts for the board state during “Before Resolve,” so Punish doesn’t count itself in its damage.

Keep in mind that “Resolve” just means that you do what the card says (its text and any modifiers etc.).

Right now, only ongoing cards, Daze, and Expose can affect someone beyond when you’re done playing them (the play until resolve steps). And only “ongoing” cards last beyond your turn right now.

Anarchy’s “modifier restrictions” only apply to the small black symbols on cards or the rules on the Modifier that tell you otherwise. When you play Anarchy, you can ignore the natural restrictions on all cards when they don’t have the appropriate modifier symbol or if the Modifier doesn’t tell you that you can play it on that card. It’s up to the table to decide if playing a Modifier that normally wouldn’t be allowed does anything or not :slight_smile:

I just ran into a situation with banish and decree. Banish is banished and decree says all players who aren’t defeated so, would that include banished players?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

If I play an Action with a Reserve, then play a Banish on myself, does the Reserve resolve at the end of the turn, then get prevented by the Banish causing the reserved cards to be discarded?

Also how do you recommend playing 2v2? No crossboarding like euchre?

Hey DottierDoughnut. I’m sorry for the delay!

Banish stops all card effects that don’t use our new keyword (immune) or the text that we have on our previous cards, ‘this card ignores other card effects.’

So, Banish protects you from (or prevents you from getting) any of the effects of Decree. The same goes for Defend if the selection for Decree is to reduce HP because it prevents HP reductions.

Hey Bromeister!

No worries. This one hasn’t been asked, yet, by the way :slight_smile:

First, the current ruling has been that you still get those cards since Banish doesn’t stop Reserve from sending a card to your hand (it’s not affecting you so much as it’s affecting the card or cards).

That being said, it’s possible that we’ll officially make the ruling go so that you wouldn’t get that card. In that case, the Reserve is still discarded right away, then whatever Reserve would have sent back would just get cleaned up at the very end of your turn, just like as you wrote!

For now, it’s up to you, though the first way I described is how it’s been done so far.

And as for 2v2, whatever is fun for you all, though I would recommend that you alternate turns for the first few games if you’re worried about balance. Sitting next to each other as a team is probably best either way, but we’ve seen back-to-back turns also play well, even if it’s a little more chaotic.