Runes of Zun release feedback

We spent years developing Runes of Zun. We like it so much that we still play it even after hundreds of test games. But now that it’s out in the world, what do you think? What do you like? What would you like to see in future expansions? :thinking:

Can you react to a reaction that was played against you? Such as an attack was played, then redirected. Could that redirection then again be redirected, or trapped etc.? Or is it that a “reaction” can only played in response to an “action”?

2 Likes

Welcome! Yes, you can react to a reaction as long as it’s not forced. Here’s an example:

1. Amy plays Attack on Bob
  2. Bob plays Redirect back to Amy
  3. Amy plays Redirect back to Bob with a Boost modifier
  4. Bob plays Redirect to Cindy
  5. Cindy plays Trap (another reaction)

In this complicated example, Cindy gets 2 damage (Attack + Boost) and Amy gets 2 damage from Trap. Even though Bob played the last Redirect, Amy is still the action source, so the Trap goes to her. Amy can’t react to Trap because it is forced.

I mean that was a crazy example but yeah, tl;dr (too late) you can… :grin:

Thanks for the speedy response! Your scenario helped clarify from a question from earlier tonight! Are you able to play as many reaction cards as you absolutely can in response to any one action (or reaction) targeted against you, or is it only one final reaction to cancel one action? Such as in “2. Bob can only play Redirect” or “Bob can play Redirect AND Trap”?

2 Likes

One at a time but I like your ambition :grin:

One reaction per one action makes perfect sense! Are you able to Redirect an action, such as a Restore, that another player has played on themselves to yourself? Or would that not be possible because the action was not originally targeting you, so you are unable to react?

2 Likes

Hey, this is a great game. Really nice graphics, really seems fun. Maybe a thread for questions regarding gameplay? We are having differing interpretations of the Channel card here at our house. Is Channel just “draw two cards before somebody plays an action on you?” Can you use something from those two cards in your defense? Does “resolve” mean you can negate the attack, or that you must accept it? Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey @aidancol

That’s right. Only when you’re targeted by an Action can you Redirect or play any other Reaction card. If someone played Restore on themselves, only they can React : )

Hey @ivannieves

Thank you! I’m glad you’re having fun : )

Reactions can only be played after an Action card has been played. “Played” means it’s been put on the table, and it’s trying to happen. Most Reaction cards let the Action finish “happening” (resolving), but Channel says that you draw your cards, then let the Action finish doing whatever it was going to do.

"Resolve" means “finish,” or in more words: "forcibly stop more cards from being added such as Reactions or Modifiers, follow my text while using all Modifiers originally placed and then any and all Reactions and further Modifiers which haven’t already happened (for example, Channel, which happens first and before you tried to resolve the Action, wouldn’t happen here), then end this Action by doing all the text still involved and then move on to starting a new Action (or move on and end the Action Phase).

So, “resolve” does not mean “negate.” Ignoring other cards that might interfere (like Defend), “resolve” means that you must let the Action happen (accept it).

Because Channel says that you draw your cards and then you resolve the Action, you can’t use another card after you put Channel down (played it) and drew your two cards.

In general, you can’t use two Reaction cards “at the same time” like that. Only in cases where cards like Redirect attempt to change the target from you to another player, but that new target plays Redirect and targets you again, can you play another Reaction on the same Action targeting you. Here, you could play another Reaction, even something that’s not Redirect. Cards are limited, but it’s possible to play, going one at a time and back and forth, all 4 Redirects on one Action. It’s never possible to play two Reactions at the same time, though.

I hope these clarifications helped! : )

2 Likes

Hey @alex thank you for the clarification! I’m full of questions about some specific encounters, this game has been a blast so far! If an Attack is Redirected, and then that Redirection is reacted to by a Trap, that Trap damage is taken by the person who played the initial Attack card? If that’s the case, can Trap damage be Redirected or otherwise reacted to?

Completely unrelated, is the only use for a Share card to add 1 new/different target? Such as in a 1 on 1 game, can Share only be used to target both yourself and your opponent, or can it be used to target either party again? Like, again 1 on 1, if Amy uses Restore on herself to increase her HP by 1 and then modifies it with Share, would Bob become the other target by default, or could Amy opt to heal herself again, or, if because a Share creates a “copy” of an action card, could Amy cause herself to gain 1 HP and cause Bob to draw 1 card?

1 Like

Just to clarify, it’s not that “you can react to a reaction as long as it’s not forced.” Technically, you’re still Reacting to the original Action. You can’t react to Reaction cards, but you can react to an Action that was Redirected to target you. You’re reacting to the Action, but it’s the Reaction that changed the target, so it feels like you’re Reacting to the Redirect : )

@aidancol

No problem! And questions are great : )

Since you’re reacting to Actions (and technically not the Redirect), Trap goes to the person who first played the Attack.

Since you can’t react to Reactions, and because Trap is forced, you can’t do anything about the Trap damage.

Share only lets you add 1 new target per share. You’re exactly right that it would have to go to the other player in a 1v1! You can’t target the same player with Share. So, unfortunately, no doubling up to do the same Action twice to the same player…

Now, that’s not to say that you can’t find a clever way around this by, say, sending an Action to your 1 v 1 opponent, then sharing the Action to yourself, then Reacting to that Action you shared to yourself with a Redirect…

Finally, when you play an “OR” card like Restore, if you share it, you’re sharing the same choice you made when you played the Action. These “OR” cards lock in your choice the moment you set them down (play them), before Modifiers and Reactions start happening.

Thank you for bringing up these questions. The “OR” interaction may work itself into future rulebooks…

1 Like

Again, thank you for responding so quickly! I’m sorry to keep pestering with random questions. So when Boosting a Scramble, does that mean the target draws back to 6 cards after discarding their hand? If that’s the case, if you were to play Scramble against yourself, would you be able to Boost that Scramble before discarding your hand?
In regards to the Revive card, if you were to Boost a Revive to a defeated player, would they be brought back with 3 HP and 5 cards, 2 HP and 6 cards, or 3 HP and 6 cards? As kind of a “house rule”, we’ve been adding another use for Revive to enable going back up a Health Zone, provided you have a full current Zone, meaning if you have 4 HP you could go up to 5, or from 8 to 9. So although you don’t gain 2 HP from the card, it adds another situational use for Revive (such as how in a 1 on 1, you wouldn’t necessarily want to Revive the other player)

1 Like

I love getting these questions, so please don’t hesitate : )

Boost increases all digits by 1 on the Action card. If there’s a number (an Arabic numeral like “1, 2, 5…”), increase it by one per Boost.

In the case of Scramble, each Boost gives the player 1 more card past the original 5. Because Actions don’t “start” happening until you’re done placing Modifiers (if you have any you want to use), you could easily pile on Boosts from your hand after playing (but not resolving) Scramble! In your example, that would mean 6 cards.

In the case of Revive, the player brought back to the game would get 3 HP and 6 cards with just 1 Boost–each Boost would increase both of those numbers. If you elect to just increase someone’s HP by 2 (via the “OR”), then a boost would increase that number by 1 for each boost.

Also, I love your house rule! I’ve been thinking about potential future cards that can do that…but we avoided this for now because it can make games last a long time : P

That being said, I would like to introduce the mechanic someday. A house rule is a perfect way to bring this mechanic into the game : )

1 Like

Would you be able to explain how Reserving a Defend or Reserving a Banish works? The way we’ve handled it, we leave the Reserve with the other Action (Defend or Banish) until it’s the original player’s turn again, then returning the card to the owner’s hand to either replay or discard (although those are both strong enough cards to use rather than lose)?

We’ve also bounced around the idea of a “Reckless Attack” card that deals high damage to 1 target (unshareable), but returns a small amount of damage to the player. Such as a strong Attack dealing 3 unboosted damage to 1 target but also dealing 1 damage to the user, boosted to do 4 damage to the target and 2 damage to the user

1 Like

Reserve always returns the Action and other Modifiers that aren’t Reserve. In those cases (ongoing cards), you’re basically trying to increase your hand-size since you draw up to 5 first before Reserve sends cards to your hand. For Defend, there’s also the benefit of protecting yourself from Reaction cards that do damage for your turn. But, either way, Defend and Banish would go right back to your hand if you Reserve them the same turn that you played them. They don’t get to stay out until the start of your next turn.

As for your idea: I love it! I can only say that we have been coming up with future card concepts that are double-edged swords for a while now, so perhaps you’ll see a card like what you’ve suggested in an official release. Either way, who says you can’t add your own cards (like a house rule) : P Card sleeves would be recommended lol…

I think I’ll add a new topic for fan-created cards! Thank you : )

1 Like

So, if Amy were to play Defend and Reserve, after discarding her hand and redrawing back up to 5 cards, the Defend would then also go back to Amy’s hand? Would the Defend’s attribute to protect Amy from damage would still be in effect, until the next start of Amy’s turn, even though the card is not shown?

1 Like

Yeah, on that turn, Amy would finish by discarding and drawing until there were 5 cards in hand, then Amy would discard Reserve and return Defend to hand (for now 6 cards in total).

Cards that aren’t on the table and in play, whether discarded or put back into hand, have no effect. When cards leave the play area, their effects stop right away. So, Defend wouldn’t keep defending Amy after Reserve sent it back.

Well, my wife and I were emailing questions till 1am last night, so needless to say what a great game! Thanks Dave for the replies and the link to the forum page, this will be very helpful settling some feuds haha. We’ve been thinking up of cool cards that would interact well with the game play. I think our only comment would be that there aren’t enough cards in the deck as we have to shuffles 3 or 4 times per game aka we will be purchasing the 2 deck 2 expansion bundle! :rofl: :rofl: - Also, do you have GOBICO sleeves in the works?

• Rob & Crystal
2 Likes

Booom! It’s go time!

1 Like

Wow! You weren’t kidding!!

Also, looked into custom card sleeves and not an option for now. Hard to find anyone that does them and the printing seems to make shuffling more difficult over time. Play mats could be a thing though. Investigating options. :grin: